A photograph of the Pearce Institute at Govan Cross. The building was commissioned by Lady Dinah Pearce in memory of her husband Sir William Pearce MP of the Fairfield Shipyard, who died in 1888. It was designed by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson in the style of a large 17th century Scottish town house and built between 1902 and 1906.
The Institute was intended as a social centre for the community and offered Govanites a men's and women's reading rooms and clubs, a library, a gymnasium, cooking and laundry departments, and a retiring room. In addition, the organ, stage and gallery in the McLeod Hall made it a popular venue for dances and social gatherings. On the wall at the entrance to the building is the greeting:
"This is a House of Friendship. This is a House of Service. For Families, For Lonely Folk. For the People of Govan. For the Strangers of the World. Welcome."
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
clubs, community centres, dances, dancing, Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Fairfield Shipyard, gymnasia, gymnasiums, halls, libraries, MacLeod Hall, Members of Parliament, MPs, Pearce Institute, reading rooms, shipbuilders