The Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College in George Street, 1909. The college had been created in 1882 by the amalgamation of Anderson's College, the Mechanics' Institution, the College of Science and Art, the Young Chair of Technical Chemistry, Allan Glen's Institution and the Atkinson Institution. The building was designed by David Barclay and opened by King Edward VII in 1903.
The college became the Royal Technical College in 1912, and was affiliated with the University of Glasgow. In 1964 it was granted university status as the University of Strathclyde.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Allan Glen's Institution, Atkinson Institution, College of Science and Art, continuing education, Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, Mechanics' Insitution, Royal Technical College, technical colleges, University of Strathclyde, vocational education, Young Chair of Technical Chemistry