A photograph taken by Duncan Brown during the visit of the Literary and Artistic Club to Haggs Castle prior in 1858, two years before the building was restored. The author Hugh MacDonald is seated sixth from left.
The building was erected near bogs (or "haggs") in 1585 by Sir John Maxwell, the 12th Earl of Pollok. In 1752 the Maxwell family left Haggs Castle for their newly-built mansion, Pollok House, and the castle became a ruin. It was converted into a house for the family's factor by the architect John Baird II in 1860, was subsequently converted to flats and in 1972 and then was acquired by Glasgow Corporation to become the city's Museum of Childhood, which opened in 1976. The museum closed in 1996 and the building was sold as a private home.
Duncan Brown (1819-1897) was a talented amateur photographer whose work documents aspects of Glasgow life from the 1850s until the 1890s.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
castles, flats, Haggs Castle, houses, mansions, Museum of Childhood, picnics, Pollok House, thatched cottages