David Dale's mansion in Charlotte Street, which was demolished in 1953 to make way for an extension to Our Lady and St Francis Secondary School.
David Dale (1739-1806) was a cotton merchant and the co-founder of the famous New Lanark cotton mills. Dale and Archibald Paterson laid out Charlotte Street in 1799, and it is believed that Dale invited Robert Adam to design the mansions they built there. Dale's own mansion was built to Adam's design in 1783, at a cost of more than £6,000.
Dale's family sold the house in 1827 and it became the home of the Glasgow Eye Infirmary in the 1850s. The Infirmary was relocated in the city's West End in 1874. By the time this photograph was taken in the early 1950s the building had evidently become a Salvation Army Men's Home.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, cotton merchants, Glasgow Eye Infirmary, houses, mansions, New Lanark Cotton Mills, Our Lady and St Francis Secondary School, Salvation Army Men's Home