The concrete cylinder ring casting yard at the Queen's Dock site in Stobcross, May 1877. These rings were used in the foundations of quay walls where the ground would not support conventional foundations of wooden piles. The use of (brick) cylinders in the construction of quay walls on the Clyde had been pioneered at Plantation Quay in 1872.
This casting yard was set up before quay walls were built, so that rings would be available for use by the time a trench was excavated to allow construction to begin. The yard was equipped with steam-powered concrete mixers and cranes. A group of men (probably engineers or managers) can be seen standing beside the wooden shutters in which the rings were "moulded". There are finished rings in the foreground, ready to be carried to the excavations.
Reference: T-CN 19/48/1
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
civil engineering, concrete cylinder rings, construction sites, docks, engineers, foundations, quays, Queen's Dock, steam cranes, steam-powered concrete mixers, wooden piles, wooden shutters