A photograph taken c 1876 of the massive pivot weighing more than 11 tons on which the swing bridge at the entrance to Queen's Dock rotated. The bridge was built by Sir William Armstrong & Co and could support up to 60 tons. It was powered from the hydraulic pumping station built nearby which also supplied power for the cranes installed on the north quay. Many of the workers pictured in the foreground are young boys. The men in the background wearing bowler hats are probably foremen and site managers.
The swing bridge was dismantled in the 1950s and the dock closed at the end of 1969.
Reference: T-CN 19/45
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
boys, construction, cranes, docks, engineering, engineers, foremen, hydraulic power stations, hydraulic pumping stations, hydraulics, labourers, navvies, pivots, Queen's Dock, Sir William Armstrong & Co, site managers, swing bridges