A photograph looking southeast across the River Clyde towards Central Station Bridge and, in front of it, the King George V Bridge under construction. The latter opened in 1928 and links Oswald Street on the north bank to Commerce Street on the south.
The three-arched bridge was constructed in reinforced concrete and faced with Dalbeattie granite. It was designed by the city engineer Thomas Somers to be high enough for small coastal vessels such as the famous Clyde puffers to gain access to the Broomielaw Quay further upstream.
The steeple of the Gorbals Parish Church in Carlton Place can be seen in the distance, left, with smoke-belching chimneys behind.
Reference: T-CN 19/15/Neg No. 50
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
atmospheric pollution, bridges, Central Station Bridge, church steeples, city engineers, Dalbeattie granite, Gorbals Parish Church, King George V Bridge, puffers, reinforced concrete, River Clyde