Photograph of Vehicular Ferryboat No 4 fighting fires on the cruiser HMS Sussex at Yorkhill Quay. The warship was hit by a 250lbs bomb during a German air raid on 18 September 1940. It took twelve hours to extinguish the flames.
Vehicular Ferryboat No 4 was built in 1938 and operated on the Govan to Partick crossing until 1966.
Reference: T-CN 19/10/Neg No. RI-38
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
air raids, Blitz, bombs, cruisers, firefighting, fires, Govan Ferry, HMS Sussex, quays, River Clyde, Second World War, vehicular ferries, Vehicular Ferryboat No 4, warships, Yorkhill Quay