This photograph from the 1920s looks west from Ferry Stair to Springfield Quay. The Clyde Shipping Co's Dundee-built steamship Longships is being loaded by two of the dock's four large cranes.
Longships was built in 1917 to replace the company's steamer of the same name, built 1893. The archives of the Scilly Isles Lifeboat Service record that the Longships encountered difficulties there on 22 December 1939. Twenty-seven men were rescued by the lifeboat Cunard.
Reference: T-CN 19/10/Neg No. R21
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Clyde Shipping Co, cranes, Ferry Stair, Longships, quays, shipping lines, Springfield Quay, Springfield Quay, quays, steamships