A photograph of Custom House Quay, looking east along the north bank of the River Clyde in May 1921. There are two small cranes in front of the sheds on the quayside with several "puffers" moored alongside.
The bridge on the right is the Carlton Place Suspension Bridge which opened in 1851. Just to the left of the bridge's arch can be seen the frontage of St Andrew's Roman Catholic Cathedral, with the Merchants' Steeple rising behind.
Quay Gardens were laid out on the derelict site of Custom House Quay in 1975. The most prominent feature is Arthur Dooley's La Pasionaria (The Passion Flower), a monument to Dolores Ibarruri who was a Communist heroine of the Spanish Civil War and a symbol of Spanish Republicanism.
Reference: T-CN 19/10/Neg No. Q10-6
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bridges, Carlton Place Suspension Bridge, Clyde Walkway, Communists, cranes, Custom House Quay, La Pasionaria, Merchants' Steeple, monuments, puffers, Quay Gardens, quays, River Clyde, sculptures, Spanish Civil War, Spanish Republicanism, St Andrew's Roman Catholic Cathedral, steamboats, warehouses, women