The Clyde Navigation Trust's coat of arms, granted in 1912 by the Lord Lyon King of Arms.
As a result of the Clyde Navigation Act of 1858 the Clyde Navigation Trust succeeded the old River Improvement Trust. The new body was composed of nine councillors, nine members elected by the shipowners and two men from each of the Merchants' House, the Trades' House and the Chamber of Commerce. The Trust was responsible for managing the river, ensuring that the shipping channel was properly dredged and maintained and that harbour, dock and other facilities were developed to keep pace with the demands of trade and local shipbuilding and other industries.
The shield is emblazoned with a ship, referring to the river's trade, and the city's coat of arms with the famous tree, bell, salmon and bird. The Latin Floreat Clutha means "Let the Clyde flourish" and echoes Glasgow's motto of "Let Glasgow flourish".
Reference: T-CN 19/1/1
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Clyde Navigation Act, 1858, Clyde Navigation Trust, coats of arms, Lord Lyon King of Arms, mottos, River Clyde, River Improvement Trust, sailing ships