This photograph of c 1910 shows one of the three cranes used for unloading imported minerals from the holds of ships berthed at the north quay in Queen's Dock. The whole of the quay was dedicated to the handling of coal and minerals and a total of seven cranes were located there.
Coal is being loaded directly into a railway wagon on the goods line connecting the dock with the Stobcross goods yard and station. The yard lay at the terminus of the North British Railway Co's Stobcross Branch, and access to the the goods line and yard was shared with the Caledonian Railway Co.
Reference: T-CN 19/3/32c
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Caledonian Railway Co, coal, cranes, docks, minerals, North British and Caledonian Goods and Mineral Station, North British Railway Co, quays, Queen's Dock, railway wagons, railways, ships, Stobcross Branch