An advertisement from the Post Office Glasgow Directory of 1883-1884 for the College of Science and Arts in Bath Street. The college offered day and evening classes in drawing, science and applied science.
The college was originally the Glasgow Mechanics' Institution, founded in 1823, which moved to Bath Street in 1862. The name was changed to the College of Science and Arts in 1879. It subsequently merged with Anderson's College, Allan Glen's Institution, the Young Chair of Technical Chemistry and Atkinson's Institution to form the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, later the Royal College of Science and Technology and the forerunner of the University of Strathclyde.
Reference: Mitchell Library, DIR 1883-84
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
advertisements, applied science, College of Science and Arts, colleges, drawing, evening classes, further education, Glasgow Mechanics' Institution, Post Office Glasgow Directory, science, University of Strathclyde