An advertisement from the Post Office Glasgow directory of 1859-1860 for Shand & Mason fire engines and pumps, placed by the firm's Glasgow agent Ralph Wardlaw.
Glasgow's town council took responsibility for fire fighting in 1787, and the Central Fire Engine Station was built in College Street in 1851. During the late 1850s fire hydrants began to appear in Glasgow's principal streets. Nevertheless, many large businesses maintained their own fire fighting services to provide a rapid response to outbreaks of fire on their premises, and this advertisement appears to be directed at them.
Reference: Mitchell Library, DIR 1859-60
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
advertisements, directories, fire engines, fire fighting, fire pumps, fire services, insurance companies, Post Office Glasgow directory, Shand & Mason, West of England Insurance Office