An advertisement from the Post Office Glasgow directory of 1845-1846 for a new Register Office which had recently opened in Hutcheson Street. The register was a boon for employers of clerical staff, tradesmen, nurses, domestic servants and others, as it provided guarantees and reassurances regarding the honesty and good character of the individuals concerned. The office also provided a lodging house register and finding service and a register of business premises available to let.
Reference: Mitchell Library, DIR 1845-46
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Advertisements, directories, employment agencies, employment registers, lodging houses, Post Office Glasgow directory, property registers, Register Offices, tenants, town council