An advertisement from the Post Office Glasgow directory of 1837-1838 for the Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway. The railway opened in 1831 and although it was primarily a mineral and goods line it offered passenger services in what were reported to be cramped and uncomfortable railway carriages. A horse carriage service connected the railway station at Gartsherrie with Airdrie.
Reference: Mitchell Library, DIR 1837-38
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
advertisements, directories, Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway, horse carriages, Post Office Glasgow directory, railway stations, railway timetables, railways, Wishaw & Coltness Railway