Advertisements from the Post Office Glasgow directory of 1837-1838 for the Hot, Cold and Vapour Bath Establishment in Hutcheson Street and the Carro Chemical Co's shop in Maxwell Street.
At a time when Glasgow's water supply was taken mostly from public wells and from the increasingly polluted River Clyde, private bath houses were popular with many health-concious individuals (all or mostly men) who could afford the services on offer. The Carro Chemical Co provided all manner of supplies that would be required to clean a house and maintain a "respectable" household in the city or suburbs.
Reference: Mitchell Library, DIR 1837-38
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Advertisements, bath houses, chemicals, chemists, chemists' shops, cleaning products, directories, domestic service, Hot, Cold and Vapour Bath Establishment, household chores, ironmongers, ironmongery, Post Office Glasgow directory, private baths, public baths, The Carro Chemical Company