A postcard view of the Recreation Grounds, Police Drill Hall and Gymnasium at Partick's Hozier Street (subsequently renamed Beith Street) looking south-east between 1906 and 1908. A Captain Cameron was influential in building the gym for the police (to the left of this image, with an arched window in the gable) which was completed in 1897 at a cost of £1,000. It was later opened to all young men of the burgh.
Behind the railings are swings in Meadowside Public Park, laid out in 1896. The road crossing Hozier Street from left to right is Hayburn Street and at the extreme left is Hozier Street's junction with Merkland Street. This area of Partick was transformed when the Clydeside Expressway was built in the 1960s and Beith Street became a busy access road.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Clydeside Expressway, gymnasia, gymnasiums, Meadowside Park, Meadowside Public Park, police, police drill halls, postcards, recreation grounds, swings