A postcard showing Hyndland Street c 1910 looking north from Dumbarton Road to Hyndland Road. John Campbell's licensed grocery (advertising Tennents the brewers) is on the left at No 1. The road leading off to the left in the centre distance is Fordyce Street.
Near the top of the hill is the distinctive spire of Dowanhill Parish Church which was designed by William Leiper and built in 1865. It was restored in 1989 as a bar, restaurant and arts venue and the spire, which is 195 feet (60 metres) high, continues to dominate the West End's sky-line.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
children, church spires, churches, coal carts, coal merchants, Dowanhill Parish Church, grocers, horses and carts, postcards, streetscenes, wine and spirit merchants