A postcard showing thatched houses in Ladywell Street looking north across Duke Street, c 1902. In the background (left) is the faint outline of the Knox Monument. The Lorne Dairy on the corner of Duke and Ladywell Streets was also known as "Miss Bremner's".
Ladywell Street took its name from the Lady Well which was the only public draw well in the city in 1832 (the others having been replaced by pump wells). The well was closed up when the Necropolis opened the following year, as it gathered water from the slopes of the Fir Park on which the new graveyard was sited.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
babies, children, dairies, houses, Knox Monument, Lady Well, Lorne Dairy, Necropolis, postcards, streetscenes, thatched roofs, wells, women