A postcard showing Shawlands Cross with Pollokshaws Road stretching ahead, Kilmarnock Road leading off to the left and Moss-side Road to the right.
The church on the corner of Moss-side and Pollokshaws Road was the United Free Church which is now Shawlands Cross Church, designed by Miller & Black and built 1900-1903. It was built of silver-grey sandstone and an octagonal timber bell turret was erected in place of a tower.
Further down Pollokshaws Road at number 1120, and just visible behind the United Free Church, is Shawlands Old Parish Church. It was designed by John A Campbell of John Burnet, Son & Campbell and built between 1885 and 1889. The facade fronting the Cross was modelled on Dunblane Cathedral and the three stained glass windows which remain today were completed in 1950 as a war memorial by Douglas Hamilton.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
artists, bell towers, children, churches, John Burnet, Son & Campbell, Miller & Black, postcards, sandstone, Shawlands Old Parish Church, Shawlands United Free Church, stained glass windows, trams, war memorials