A postcard view looking west along Bridgegate at the junction with Saltmarket c 1902. On the second floor of the building to the left is an advertisement for James Kelly's undertaking company. This building had been the head office of Glasgow's first bank, the Glasgow Ship Bank, founded in 1750. It was subsequently converted to flats and shops and, in 1845, a pub was opened on the ground floor. The building was remodelled in 1904 and the Old Ship Bank Tavern was opened by the building's owner, Bernard McAnulty.
The bridge in the background carried a branch of the City of Glasgow Union Railway across Bridgegate on its way north-east from the river (an adjacent bridge carried the railway west to St Enoch Station). At the beginning of the 21st century, many of the arches of the viaducts on which the overhead railway was carried into the city centre remain. Those in Shipbank Lane provide the backdrop to the famous Paddy's Market.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
City of Glasgow Union Railway Co, funeral undertakers, Glasgow Ship Bank, markets, Old Ship Bank Tavern, Paddy's Market, postcards, public houses, pubs, railway bridges, railway viaducts, taverns