A postcard view looking south towards the Battlefield Memorial in Battle Place, Langside, early 20th century.
The column is 16 metres high and was designed by the architect Alexander Skirving. It was erected in 1887-1888 to commemorate the Battle of Langside, 1568, at which Mary Queen of Scots’ army was defeated by the forces of James Stewart, Regent Moray. A spiral patterned with thistles, roses and fleurs-de-lis winds its way to the top of the column where a lion sits resting its paw on a cannonball. The decoration was sculpted by James Young and the structure was built by Morrison & Mason.
In the background is Langside Hill Free Church which was also designed by Skirving and built 1894-1896 in the Greco-Roman style. It was renovated during the 1990s and became a restaurant and bar.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bars, Battle of Langside, Battlefield Memorial, battles, churches, columns, Greco-Roman, Langside Hill Free Church, Morrison & Mason, postcards, pubs, restaurants, roundabouts, sculptures