A postcard showing the Cenotaph monument on the east side of George Square in 1925. Erected in remembrance of the soldiers who died during the First World War, it was designed by Sir J J Burnet in 1922 and is flanked by sculptures of lions by Ernest Gillick. The granite cenotaph is 9.7 metres tall and is described as a truncated obelisk. There is a gilded metal cross in the form of a sword on the face and below it a representation of St Mungo in front of Glasgow's coat of arms. The monument was unveiled in May 1924 by Earl Haig.
In the background of this image are the Glasgow City Chambers, opened in 1888 by Queen Victoria. In the foreground the wreaths surrounding the cenotaph suggest that this image was taken on or around Remembrance Sunday.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Cenotaph, Coats of Arms, First World War, George Square, Glasgow City Chambers, memorials, monuments, postcards, Remembrance Sunday, sculptures, soldiers