A view looking west along Great Western Road c 1906, showing the main entrance gate to the Botanic Gardens on the right. The gardens occupy 22 acres bounded by the road and the River Kelvin. The trams may be operating on the number 17 service from Anniesland to Cambuslang.
In the centre of the image steam rises through the ventilation shafts from the underground platforms of the distinctive, onion-domed Botanic Gardens Station. The station stood on the Glasgow Central Railway, which was carried north from Stobcross beneath Kelvingrove Park, and continued west beneath Great Western Road and the Botanic Gardens on its way to Maryhill.
Botanic Gardens Station closed in 1939. The station building was subsequently occupied by a plumber's shop, the popular Silver Slipper cafe and Sergeant Pepper's nightclub, but burned down in 1970. The station platforms remain derelict and overgrown at the beginning of the 21st century.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Botanic Gardens, Botanic Gardens Station, cafes, Caledonian Railway Co, entrances, fires, gates, Glasgow Central Railway, nightclubs, parks, plumbers, postcards, railway stations, railway tunnels, Royal Botanic Society of Glasgow, Sergeant Pepper's nightclub, Silver Slipper cafe, street scenes, trams, tramways