A postcard from about 1905 showing Dowanhill Park in Partick. The Corporation bought the land on the south side of Highburgh Road to the west of Dowanhill Street in 1903, preventing any residential development on the site. It was known as the "Wee Park" to distinguish it from the much larger Whiteinch Park.
To the right of the image is Dowanhill School on the eastern side of Dowanhill Street. It cost £19,624 to build, could accommodate 1,579 children, and was erected by the Govan School Board in response to the rapidly growing population of the district. It opened in 1896.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
children, Dowanhill Park, Dowanhill School, Govan School Board, postcards, schools, Wee Park