A postcard view from Glasgow Green of the McLennan Arch at the junction of Greendyke Street and Monteith Row, c 1902.
The arch was originally part of the facade of the Assembly Rooms built in Ingram Street in 1792. It was loosely based on the triumphal arches of ancient Rome, and features classical reliefs of Orpheus and the Three Graces. When the Assembly Rooms were demolished in 1892 the Arch was rebuilt in Greendyke Street at the entrance to Glasgow Green. In 1922 it was moved to the end of Charlotte Street.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Assembly Rooms, Athenaeum, entrances, Glasgow Green, McLennan Arch, New Assembly and Concert Rooms, Orpheus, parks, tenements, The Three Graces, triumphal arches