A postcard showing the flower gardens at Maxwell Park in Pollokshields in 1906. This was one of the city's smallest parks at just 21 acres and contained a small boating pond. A fountain made by Doulton & Co was erected in 1907 in memory of John Hamilton, who had shot game there before it became parkland. The feature was demolished in 1989.
In the background can be seen Pollokshields Burgh Hall which stands at the eastern end of the park. It was designed by H E Clifford in the Scots Renaissance style and was completed in 1890 - the year before Pollokshields lost its burgh status and was annexed by Glasgow. The first inhabitants of what are now two flats in the burgh lodge were the Pollokshields Burgh Sanitary Inspector and the Park Keeper.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
boating ponds, burgh halls, Doulton & Co, flower gardens, fountains, lodges, Maxwell Park, municipal buildings, parks, Pollokshields Burgh Hall, postcards, Sanitary Inspectors, sculpture