A postcard showing the entrance to Queen's Park at the southern end of the busy Victoria Road. These gates replaced the originals in 1907.
The development of the park began in 1857 on an area of ground which was then 2 miles outside the city boundaries. Most of the landscaping work was carried out by the unemployed and it was named not after Queen Victoria but Mary Queen of Scots, whose army fought and lost the Battle of Langside in 1568 on the park's southern boundary.
Three green Glasgow trams can be seen through the gates travelling along Victoria Road. South-bound services would bear right along Queen's Drive, a thoroughfare which was developed to feuing plans stipulating the construction only of "high quality tenements and church spires".
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
entrances, park gates, parks, postcards, Queen's Park, shops, streets, tenements, trams