A postcard showing the Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women at 69 Coplaw Street in Govanhill in 1915. The hospital was opened in Hutchesontown in 1886 and relocated in Kingston three years later. The new hospital in Coplaw Street was built in the mid-1890s, designed by the architects Ninian McWhannell and John Rogerson.
The design was an adaption of the 17th century Scottish Renaissance style and has just two storeys in the main. A dispensary was added in 1897 and two new wards were built in 1905 and 1924. The building with round towers in the foreground, on the corner of Victoria Road, was the Alice Mary Corbett Memorial Nurses' Home on the corner of Victoria Road. It was financed by Mrs Cameron Corbett of Rowallan and was built in 1904 and subsequently extended.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Alice Corbett Memorial Nurses' Home, dispensaries, nurses' homes, postcards, Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women, Scottish Renaissance Style, towers, women's hospitals