A postcard of the Old Burnt Barns Tavern in Great Hamilton Street (later London Road) at the corner of South St Mungo Street, c 1903. According to the plaque above the entrance the pub was established in 1829, although it has been claimed that the building itself was erected in the 1670s. To the right of the photograph, two men are unloading casks of ale from a cart in front of the hairdresser's shop.
The building was demolished in 1903, but a new pub with the same name opened in the sandstone tenement which was built on the site.
In the left foreground is a fire hydrant. More than 4,000 fire hydrants had been installed in Glasgow streets by 1891.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
ale, beer, carts, casks, fire hydrants, fires, Old Burnt Barns Tavern, public houses, pubs, streetscenes, taverns, tenements