A postcard view of the David Elder Infirmary in Langlands Road, Linthouse, 1935. The infirmary was founded by the shipowner Alexander Elder(1834-1915), son of David (1785-1866) and brother of John (1824-1869), the founder of the Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. After a number of delays the building was designed by the architects Keppie & Henderson and built between 1924 and 1927. Below the three central dormer windows is a pediment inscribed "David Elder Infirmary 1925" and in the entrance hall a bronze tablet by Benno Schotz reading "Pity succouring suffering humanity".
The hospital, managed by the Board of Glasgow Western Infirmary, provided accident and emergency treatment for workers injured in the nearby shipyards. It was closed in the 1990s.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
accident and emergency units, accidents, David Elder Infirmary, Glasgow Western Infirmary, hospitals, infirmaries, Keppie & Henderson, postcards, shipbuilders shipyards, shipbuilding, shipowners, shipyard workers