A postcard view of the St Enoch Station Hotel in 1909. It was located on the eastern side of St Enoch Square. The hotel was begun in 1875 by the architect Thomas Wilson for the City of Glasgow Union Railway Co, in front of the great St Enoch Railway Station which can be seen on the street on the left of the picture. It opened in 1876 and was acquired along with the hotel by the Glasgow & South Western Railway Co in 1883.
St Enoch Station and the hotel were demolished in 1977. The monstrous St Enoch Shopping Centre was erected on the site during the 1980s.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
City of Glasgow Union Railway Co, Glasgow & South Western Railway Co, hotels, postcards, railway stations, St Enoch Centre, St Enoch Shopping Centre, St Enoch Square, St Enoch Station Hotel