This postcard shows the North British Station Hotel on the north side of George Square, in about 1906. The building was erected 1807-1818 and was known as the Queen's Hotel when it was acquired by the North British Railway Co in 1903. The attic was converted 1903-1905 to form a top storey, clearly visible here. Part of the railway company's adjacent Queen Street Station is on the far left of this photograph.
British Rail sold the building in the 1980s when it became the Copthorne Hotel. In 1986 a conservatory was added to the front of the building, facing the square.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Copthorne Hotel, George Square, Glasgow City Chambers, hotels, North British Railway Co, postcards, Queen Street Station, Queen's Hotel, railway stations, squares, The North British Station Hotel