A postcard view of some of the buildings of Stobhill Hospital in Springburn from Springburn Park, with the distinctive clock tower to the right of the picture. The hospital was designed by the architects Thomson & Sandilands and opened in 1904.
Stobhill was built by the Parish of Glasgow to meet the increasing need for hospital accommodation for the city's sick poor, which had previously been the function of poorhouse wards at the City Poorhouse and Barnhill Poorhouse. For many years it carried the stigma of being a hospital for paupers, and the birth certificates of babies born there recorded only the address and not the name of the hospital.
During the First World War the hospital was used for the reception and treatment of wounded servicemen. In 1939 it was transferred from the parish council to Glasgow Corporation and it remains the main hospital serving the north of the city and parts of Cumbernauld and East Dumbartonshire.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
clock towers, First World War, Glasgow Corporation, hospitals, infirmaries, parks, paupers, poor relief, poorhouses, postcards, sick poor, Springburn Park, Stobhill General Hospital, Stobhill Hospital, teaching hospitals, Thomson & Sandilands, wounded servicemen