A postcard view of the the Govan Combination Hospital in Shieldhall, 1907.
The 120-bed hospital was built by the burghs of Govan and Kinning Park in combination in 1901, and consisted of seven pavilions where patients with infectious diseases such as scarlet fever, typhus and smallpox could be isolated and treated. Glasgow Corporation assumed responsibility for its management and upkeep after the city annexed the Burgh of Govan in 1912.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
chimneys, enteric fever, fever hospitals, Govan Combination Hospital, hospital pavilions, infectious diseases, isolation wards, postcards, scarlet fever, Shieldhall Hospital, smallpox, typhus