Glasgow City Chambers' Council Hall, 1888. The hall can be accessed from both main staircases in the building. It is 110 feet long and 50 feet wide, extending to 60 feet wide at the centrally located alchoves. The room is 50 feet high at the top of the central roof dome, the base of which can just be seen in this photograph.
At the far end of the room is an ornate chimney-piece of Spanish mahogany that continues the panelling running around the walls. The central stained glass dome illuminates the middle of the room but electric lights also used can be seen, hanging from each of the two small side domes. The hall windows, on the right of the picture, look over Geroge Square.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC f 725.13 CIT
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
chandeliers, chimneys, Council Chambers, Council Hall, domes, electric lighting, electric lights, Glasgow City Chambers, municipal buildings