The Banqueting Hall in Glasgow City Chambers, 1888. The hall is on the second floor of the building and is 110 feet long and 48 feet wide, with a ceiling 52 feet high. The room was decorated by McCulloch & Co, under the supervision of William Leiper. In 1899 artists from the Glasgow School of painting (the famous "Glasgow Boys") added mural paintings which represent the history of the city.
The problem of the hall's poor acoustics was solved in 1950 with the installation of loudspeakers.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC f 725.13 CIT
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
acoustics, artists, Banqueting Hall, dining, Glasgow City Chambers, halls, municipal buildings, murals, painters, reception rooms, The Glasgow School