The lavishly-decorated Loggia at Glasgow City Chambers, 1888. The Loggia, or entrance hall, is accessed from the main entrance facing George Square. The Loggia was built to lead through the building from the George Square to the John Street entrances, but is now blocked off by a wall.
The architect William Young attempted to recreate the appearance of a Roman church of the Rennaissance period, and included a vaulted ceiling and floors decorated with a mosaic of more than 1.5 million painted tiles. The columns supporting the arches in this photograph are made of red granite and the bases are of grey Aberdeen granite.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC f 725.13 CIT
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Aberdeen granite, arches, architecture, columns, domes, entrance halls, Loggia, loggias, public sculpture, red granite, statues, Venetian mosaics