Glasgow City Chambers was designed by William Young, the winner of a competition that attracted 125 entries. Lord Provost Ure laid the foundation stone on 6 October 1883 and declared the day a public holiday in the city. The building was opened by Queen Victoria in 1888.
The sheer scale and lavishness of the City Chambers was an affirmation of the city's increasing importance and wealth at the end of the 19th century. The block covers about 62,000 square feet with a quadrangle in the centre, an impressive tower (apparently inspired by Alexander "Greek" Thomson's St Vincent Street Church) and carriage entries to the north and south. The imposing western facade on George Square, seen here, is dominated by its sculptured Jubilee Pediment with an enthroned Queen Victoria gazing west across the city. There are also impressively detailed and decorated frontages on Cochrane Street to the south, John Street to the east and George Street to the north.
A large block was added to the building in 1914-1923, on the eastern side of John Street.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC f 725.13 CIT
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, architectural competitions, council offices, facades, Glasgow City Chambers, Glasgow City Council, holidays, Jubilee Pediment, local government, municipal buildings, municipal offices, public buildings, St Vincent Street Church, towers