Pollok House was built between 1747 and 1752 in Pollok Park for the second baronet, Sir John Maxwell. The Maxwell family had settled at Pollok in the Middle Ages and built three castles on the estate before Pollok House. The story that Pollok House was designed by the famous architect William Adam appears to be untrue, although he may have been consulted by Sir John.
In the centre of this image a carriage can be seen crossing a bridge which was built across the White Cart in 1758. A man and woman are fishing in the foreground. Pollok House and Pollok Park were given to the city in 1966 and the house is maintained by the National Trust for Scotland.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
baronets, bridges, castles, fishermen, fishing, horses and carriages, mansion houses, mansions, National Trust for Scotland, Pollok House, Pollok Park, River Cart, White Cart Water