A view from the south of two bridges over the Kelvin at Kelvinbridge on Great Western Road, c 1842. The smaller of the two bridges was the first. There was no other bridge between it and the Old Partick Bridge built by Captain Thomas Crawford of Jordanhill, although there were stepping stones near the slit mills further downstream. The larger of these two bridges was built in the early 19th century.
Both bridges were replaced in 1891 with the opening of the Great Western Bridge, designed by the engineers Bell & Miller.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bell & Miller, bridges, Great Western Bridge, Great Western Road, River Kelvin, stepping stones