The Glasgow Humane Society was founded in 1790, to recover the bodies of the drowned or to save the drowning from the river. At first it seems that ferrymen were paid by the Society to recover the bodies of the dead, but in 1795 a house and a boat-house were built on the river side at Glasgow Green to accomodate the Society's officer. The building was soon christened "the Dead Hoose" by locals, as recovered bodies were landed there. It was refurbished in 1867 and a new building was erected in its place in 1932.
The society's first full-time officer was George Geddes, who was appointed by the society in 1859. He was succeeded by his son, also George, in 1889. Ben Parsonage was appointed to the post in 1932. He served until his death in 1979 and during these forty-five years he is reported to have recovered at least 2,000 bodies from the river and rescued 1,000 people in danger of drowning. He was succeeded by his son George.
Reference: Mitchell Library 310408
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Dead Hoose, Dead House, drownings, ferries, ferrymen, Glasgow Green, Glasgow Humane Society, morgues, rescue services, rescues, River Clyde