The Glasgow Union Bank was founded in 1830. Its first office was in Trongate but in 1843 it acquired the Glasgow & Ship Bank and moved to the latter's head office in Ingram Street, pictured here. The enlarged company was renamed the Union Bank of Scotland.
The Glasgow & Ship Bank Co had built the office on the site of the old Virginia Mansion in 1842. It was designed by the architect David Hamilton with an impressive Roman-Doric portico of six pillars overlooked by six statues by the sculptor John Mossman.
Reference: Mitchell Library 310408
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
banking, banks, Glasgow & Ship Bank Co, Glasgow Union Bank, mansions, pillars, porticos, Roman-Doric, statues, Union Bank of Scotland, Virginia Mansion