In 1842 the Western Club moved to Buchanan Street. The new building was designed by David and James Hamilton. Inside there was a large hall with Corinthian columns and a coffered ceiling, a double staircase led to the upper floors and all the main rooms had marble fireplaces. In 1968 the inside of the club was gutted and rebuilt as offices.
The Western Club was founded as the Badger Club in 1825 by a Major Monteith, to provide good, cheap food and wine for its members. Over the years it merged with the Junior Club, the New Club, and the Kelvin Club, and became the adopted home of the RNVR Club (Scotland). Following the refurbishment of the Buchanan Stret building in 1968 the Western Club moved to premises in Royal Exchange Square.
Reference: Mitchell Library 310408
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Badger Club, clubs, halls, Junior Club, Kelvin Club, New Club, offices, RNVR (Scotland), Western Club