D O Hill's view of the Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway, 1831, looking south from the St Rollox Chemical Works off Castle Street. In the centre is the mast of a boat moored on the Monkland Canal, which passed to the south of the works.
The railway wagons on the main line appear to be carrying coal, much of which was required for the chemical works. Some consignments were also intended for the city and for further afield, and the elevated lines (right) were apparently built to permit wagons to be run out over the canal and their contents emptied into the canal boats below.
The Knox Monument and the tower and spire of Glasgow Cathedral are visible in the distance, left.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC 385.09 HIL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
canal boats, canals, Charles Tennant & Co, children, chimneys, coal, Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway, Glasgow Cathedral, Glasgow, Garnkirk & Coatbridge Railway, horses and wagons, locomotives, masts, Monkland Canal, railway wagons, railways, St Rollox Basin, St Rollox Chemical Works, trains, women