D O Hill's view of trains passing on the embankment at Germiston on the day of the opening of the Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway. This embankment at Germiston was three-quarters of a mile long and 45 feet high.
The picture looks west towards the massed chimneys at Charles Tennant & Co' St Rollox chemical works, and the masts of the boats on the canal at Port Dundas can be seen in the far distance on the hillside to the right of the chimneys.
In 1843 the Garnkirk & Glasgow opened an extension from Garnkirk to Coatbridge and changed its name to the Glasgow, Garnkirk & Coatbridge Railway Co.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC 385.09 HIL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
boats, canals, Charles Tennant & Co, chimneys, embankments, Forth & Clyde Canal, Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway Co, Glasgow, Garnkirk & Coatbridge Railway Co, locomotives, masts, railways, St Rollox Chemical Works, trains