Ladywell Street looking north-west towards Glasgow Cathedral. There is no sign in this illustration of the well which gave the street its name - the Lady Well was one of the most important in the city, but its use was abandoned for public health reasons when the Necropolis was opened on the hillside above it in 1833.
Ladywell Street led up the what was known as "Hangman's Brae", so called perhaps because at the end of the 18th century the city's gallows were located at the top of the hill, first at Howgatehead and then at the ruins of the Bishop's Castle.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC 914.14353 FAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
church spires, executioners, gallows, Glasgow Cathedral, Hangman's Brae, hangmen, horses and carts, houses, Lady Well, Necropolis, streetscenes, thatched cottages, wells