A section of the Monkland canal (right) and the Town's Mill Road (left) from Millburn Bridge to the east, as they would have appeared in the early 19th century. The Knox Monument, the Cathedral's steeple and Glasgow Royal Infirmary can be seen in the distance, left.
The Monkland Canal was opened from the Sheepford in the Monklands to Riddrie in 1773, and extended to Blackhill (with a connected basin in Castle Street) 1782-1793. Surveyed and engineered by James Watt of steam engine fame, it was over 12 miles long. It was intended primarily as a coal canal, bringing cargoes into the city from the Monkland coal fields.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC 914.14353 FAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
canals, Glasgow Cathedral, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Knox Monument, Monkland Canal, monuments, Necropolis, spires, steeples