The Glasgow office of the Edinburgh-based National Bank of Scotland was designed by the architect John Gibson of London firm Gibson & Macdowal and opened on Queen Street in 1847. It was in a mixed Italian style. The semicircular tops to the groundfloor front windows are carved to represent the five principal British rivers, the Thames, Clyde, Tweed, Severn and Humber.
Glasgow's coat of arms is carved above the main entrance and the Royal Arms crown the facade, flanked by the figures of Peace and Commerce. In 1901 the whole building was moved stone by stone by Glasgow Corporation to its present site on Langside Avenue at the western corner of Queen's Park where it re-opened as Langside Halls. City Engineer A B MCDonald was responsible for the conversion.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC 914.14353 WIL (1850)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
banks, City Engineers, Gibson & MacDowal, Langside Halls, National Bank of Scotland, sculpture